Next meet here in 2023
Friday 8th July 2022
Romsey Beggars Fair
Awbridge (pronounced A-bridge) is a village in Hampshire about 3 miles west of Romsey, near the River Test.
We camp on the field behind Awbridge Village Hall. This is a lovely site in the beautiful Test Valley, with a nature reserve next door, and plenty to see and do in Romsey and the surrounding area.
The site opens at 2pm on Friday. The stewards for this meet are Caroline and Peter, who can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by the Wessex mobile phone on 07340 248 577.
The meet will be run in line with the current Camping and Caravanning Club COVID Guidelines. This means we can’t organise any formal social activities for this meet, however we can still get together informally in smaller groups on the field to chat and make music, in line with the latest Government guidelines on social distancing of course.
Romsey Festival 2021
The Beggars Fair is not taking place this year but a number of events for the Romsey Festival are still being held. A full calendar of these is on the Festival Website.
Our members may be interested in the folk music session at the Bandstand in Romsey on Saturday from 14:30 to 16:30 – details here.
Our ceilidh will be held on Saturday evening, starting at 19:30 in the Village Hall on site.
This is an informal folk dance evening, interspersed with song, poetry or music. You can bring your own refreshments, although tea and coffee is provided in the interval.
We will be holding a raffle to raise funds for our nominated charity.
Romsey Beggars Fair
Music, dance and street entertainment will return to Romsey on Saturday 9th July, when the 28th Beggars Fair takes place. Expect to see, hear and enjoy over 90 acts spread across more than 20 venues and all for free at Romsey’s annual Summer Music Festival
Throughout the streets and in venues all around the town, the best of local musicians bring you an eclectic mix of folk, jazz, blues, soul, rock, bluegrass, classical and world music. Together with colourful dance displays and children’s entertainment there is plenty of entertainment on offer.
From big bands on the Cornmarket main stage to intimate acoustic music in tranquil gardens,cheerful pub sessions and spellbinding storytelling there is something for everyone.
The Beggars Fair is an annual event run entirely by a small team of enthusiastic volunteers. It has been running since 1993 and is living up to its aims of showcasing local talent in a friendly environment. The day has a great atmosphere that keeps bringing people, and performers, back year after year.
Please follow the following guidelines for this meet
- Anyone exhibiting Covid symptoms on arrival must NOT enter the site.
- Social distancing must be observed at ALL times following Government guidance.
- Anyone exhibiting Covid symptoms during their stay must notify the Steward and their entire party must go home immediately.
- All units must be pitched where directed by the Steward and must observe the 6-metre rule.
- Campers are responsible for bringing their own hand sanitiser and cleaning items with them prior to arrival.
- Campers should follow all signs on site regarding COVID safety precautions.
- Payment should be by credit or debit card if possible.
In the area
Ancient market town, with lots to see and do
One of the finest examples of Norman architecture in Southern England
National Trust. A romantic house and gallery set in beautiful gardens alongside the River Test
The UK’s number 1 family theme park ,with over 70 exciting rides and attractions. Paultons is also home of Peppa Pig World
Local website for Awbridge village
Awbridge Village Hall
Romsey Rd, Awbridge, Hants, SO51 0HG
OS Ref: 185/326329
- From Romsey head North on the A3057 (Great Bridge Street)
- In approx 1 mile turn left at the Duke’s Head PH, signed Awbridge B3084 (Stanbridge Lane)
- Continue for approx 2 miles to a ‘Y’ junction and turn left (Romsey Road)
- Take the next left into the hall entrance
Romsey (3 miles from the site) has a wide range of major supermarkets and shops.
There is a wide range pubs and restaurants in Romsey and the surrounding area close to Awbridge.
There is no regular public transport serving Awbridge.
The nearest train stations are Romsey (3 miles) and Mottisfont & Dunbridge (2½ miles)